[Libreoffice] Purpose of easy task 'Get rid of sal_uLong' ?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Mar 28 03:45:11 PDT 2011

 Hello,

 I've noticed [*] and the description of what to do makes me wonder what the
point of the task actually is.

 The link in the description seems to suggest that the changes may come from
OpenOffice later anyway, but if we want to do the changes ourselves in order
to clean up the code, then IMO we should just do the simple and logical thing
and not the OpenOffice description (where the tradition rules to do anything
but the simple and logical >:) ).

 Specifically, the simple and logical type for numbers happens to be 'int'.
Some kind of intptr type is usually only for ugly hacks, and bit-precise
types are mainly for marshalling. Is there any point in keeping the task as
it is or can I change it to 'use sal_uInt32 if the precise size is need, e.g.
for marshalling, use sal_uIntPtr if it is used for storing pointer value,
otherwise simply use int'? And, looking at this description, is there any
plan to get rid of these superfluous sal_xxx types eventually?

[*]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks#Get_rid_of_sal_uLong

--
 Lubos Lunak