[Libreoffice] minutes of tech steering call ...

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu May 5 14:02:34 PDT 2011

Hi *,

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:

> * announcing binfilter as deprecated in 3.4
>        + want to warn people in plenty of time
>        + officially deprecate it, we drop save support in 3.4
>        + be warned - it will die in a new major release soon.

Oh - and please write this in big letters :-)

And also make sure when you remove it completely: Don't remove the
filter-detection part of it. I.e. when a user then opens a
binfilter-covered format, don't present the user with the file-format
selection box, but use a "sorry, support for this format was removed -
open it in 3.4" or similar dialog.

> * reviewboard / etc. (Bjoern)
>        + would using it make things easier for new developers ?
>                + another authentication account required
>                + help tracking the patch pipeline, and its status

if it's only to track the pipeline, then patchwork
http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/ might be an alternative.

>        + reviewing patches in bugs can be good (Mitch)
>                + but many patches get lost ~forever without poking (Michael)

Add to that - just realized that bugzilla of FDO has a
review-extension (splinter - http://fishsoup.net/software/splinter/ )
for patches. When an issue has a patch attached, it's possible to use
a review link and comment on the whole patch and also on individual
lines (double-click on the line you want to comment on in review mode)

> * single git repo test (Norbert)

Ah, I would really love to see this :-)

This will also greatly ease creation of local clones, something that
is so easy with mercurial, but so hard with git...

ciao
Christian