[Libreoffice] Encrypted password -- change?

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon May 30 14:51:57 PDT 2011

I tried this with LibreOffice 3.4.0rc2 (x86 on Windows Vista SP1 in VM hosted on Windows 7).

Two things:

1. It doesn't work.  There is a new button on the File | Properties ... | General tab to the right of the file name that says "Change Password ..." but it is always greyed out.  This could be because you have to unencrypt a file to open it ?  It is only the saved file that is encrypted.
2. The HelpPack for 3.4.0rc2 on Windows does not reflect the fact that there is this new button.

[Related observations: You can open an encrypted file, modify it so that Save can be clicked, and it will save atop the encrypted file without warning.  Also, when File | Properties comes up as part of a Save As (but not Save, interesting) because it is enabled by Option, the filename is highlighted as if it is editable, but it is not.  As far as I know, there is no occasion where the filename in the Properties | General dialog would be changeable.]

 - Dennis