[Libreoffice] whacky parallel-install instructions ...

Tomáš Chvátal scarabeus at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 7 04:16:50 PST 2011

2011/11/7 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>:
>        Thomas, separately I wonder if this:
>
> INSTALLDIRNAME=`echo AC_PACKAGE_NAME | tr '[[:upper:]]' '[[:lower:]]'`
> AC_MSG_CHECKING([for install dirname])
> if test -n "$with_install_dirname" -a "$with_install_dirname" != "no" -a "$with_install_dirname" != "yes" ; then
>   INSTALLDIRNAME="$with_install_dirname"
> fi
> AC_MSG_RESULT([$INSTALLDIRNAME])
> AC_SUBST(INSTALLDIRNAME)
>
>        The with_install_dirname stuff looks redundant - we could prolly hack
> some of that out.

Hi michael and others,
for starters I am not ccing Fridrich as I safely expect him to be on
this list :P

About the issue:
Currently the install paths are slightly confusing as you can see the
installdirname is really dupe and it should be whacked out.

Also I think that we should support side-by-side install completely by
installing all our stuff with some nice suffix like major.minor (eg.
/usr/bin/localc3.5), where the system places and binaries would be
done by symlinking the suffixed packages. This would allow
distributors to take use of alternatives switchers so user could pick
which version he wants to have 3.5 3.6 4.0 whatever :)

On multiple non-system-wide install the symlinks would simply not be
created and this would quite solve the issue.

Currently the above is handled by the dev/release switch, but it would
be really cool if those were invariant or just suffixed one step more
with major.minor.(firstsixofhash|user_defined_string_configure). The
current setup is prone to errors because for example me and other
distributors for sure just test the release configuration.

Cheers

Tom