[Libreoffice] Reducing duplicating strings

Lior Kaplan kaplanlior at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:35:41 PST 2011

Hi,

One of the things I noticed while working about LibO translation is the
strong deja-vu feeling. I keep thinking - wait, I've already translated
this string. I went to check the code, and found out there are actually a
lot of duplicated strings.

Just to clarify - I don't expect each string to only appear once, as it
might have different meaning or other context depending of the part of LibO
in which it appears. But that said, there are cases where the same strings
appear in very adjacent parts of LibO, which I think can be reduced.

A small example could be the strings at
svx/source/unodialogs/textconversiondlgs - from 60 strings, 29 are
duplicates and it has only 3 src files. Actually, one file
(chinese_dialogs.src) have all the strings of the other files
(chinese_dialogs.src and chinese_dialogs.src) + 2 new strings.

This need to double translate in a single module (or PO file in the pootle
system) is quite frustrating. I would be happy try and figure a solution to
save some of these extra strings to translate when possible.

Thanks,

Kaplan