[Libreoffice] Dumping to valgrind.log from soffice shell script needed?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 00:36:29 PST 2011

On 10/26/2011 09:00 PM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 01:55 PM, Petr Mladek wrote:
>> What is your preferred way of use?
>> What exactly do you hate and/or miss?
>
> One problem is output of multiple (batched, like "make subsequentcheck")
> valgrind'ed invocations of soffice.bin is lost.
>
> Another problem is attaching a debugger (VALGRIND_OPTS=--db-attach=yes)
> does not work.

So, meanwhile I had thought that I can somehow live with the
inconvenience the automatic-valgrind.log feature brings, trying to
remember to remove the relevant line from the soffice script in
scenarios where it matters.

But today I had to find out that even a single invocation of the
sw/qa_complex test internally starts multiple soffice instances in a
row, and coming back to a multi-hour valgrind run of that test all I got
was a most unhelpful valgrind.log for a single soffice invocation.

This feature turns out to be a real productivity problem for me after
all.  Petr, can you please re-consider whether it is really too much to
ask your clients to type

   VALGRIND=memcheck soffice 2>valgrind.log

instead of

   VALGRIND=memcheck soffice

Thanks,
Stephan