[Libreoffice] Reducing duplicating strings

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 05:26:14 PST 2011

Hi,

2011/11/15 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>:
>        Things like:
>
>    CheckBox CB_USE_VARIANTS
>    {
>        Text [ en-US ] = "~Use Taiwan, Hong Kong SAR, and Macao SAR
> character variants";
>
>        make me wonder if the .src file format even allows the text field to
> refer to another (shared) string definition. If not, of course we should
> prolly fix that in the rsc/ module and tools/ resmgr.

Or we can put the string into a "global" String type resource and load
the checkbox text from there when it is constructed.

>> This need to double translate in a single module (or PO file in the
>> pootle system) is quite frustrating. I would be happy try and figure a
>> solution to save some of these extra strings to translate when
>> possible.
>
>        Right; I wonder how best to do it. Alternatives might be to build a
> list of known duplicate strings that are semantically identical and
> munge that into the .po generation tooling ( Andras ? ). Either way - it
> sounds like detecting duplicates once is much more efficient than doing
> it per-language :-)

That's right, but I don't think that it affects all languages all the
time. Most of the teams completed translation of those parts years ago
or they are using better translation tools. In my opinion this issue
is rather to be solved at the translation tool level. I know that Lior
disagrees. :) We talked this over in Paris. Of course, if this kind of
reduction makes also the code simpler and smaller, then no doubt that
we should go for it.

Best regards,
Andras