[Libreoffice] uno discoverability

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Nov 15 08:49:27 PST 2011

Hullo List,

I'm working on a school project that involves UNO with Python (talking
to LO from an external invocation of Python).  One of the things that I
find extremely frustrating is the lack of discoverability from within
the Python context.  The interactive shell (IPython package and
IPython.embed() ) is an amazing tool for debugging and data structure
discovery (with the power of tab-completion, among other things), but
when most functions are hardly documented, it reduces the
discoverability to educated guesswork and actual C++ code inspection.

1. Is there an intentional reason for a lack of this sort of builtin
documentation?

For example, within the Python shell:

 >>> import uno
[...boiler plate to setup desktop variable from UNO...]
 >>> help(desktop.loadComponentFromURL)
Help on PyUNO_callable object:

class PyUNO_callable(object)
  |  Methods defined here:

which is hardly useful to know what loadComponentFromURL actually does.

2. If there is not an intentional reason, would drive by documentation
efforts (as I discover them, and certainly to be improved, but better
than nothing), be generally appreciated?

Thanks,

Kevin