[Libreoffice] PostgreSQL-SDBC in LO: licensing

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Nov 17 04:59:58 PST 2011

Hi Lionel,

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 12:05 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> Sure I can: the code being *dual*-licensed means anybody legitly
> getting a copy of the code can *choose* between obeying the LGPLv2.1
> *OR* obeying the SISSL. I chose LGPLv2.1.

	Seems reasonable on the face of it to me - the header change is fine.
Of course, we have no option of a plus license there which is sad, but
hopefully over time, bit by bit we can incrementally re-write it as a
clean MPL/LGPLv3+ thingit.

> I understand you are saying that the SISSL allows us to relicense the
> code under MPL/LGPLv3+; I'm not sure I agree. Could you please explain
> why you think that is?

	Oh - the SISSL is indeed rather liberal, but ... as you say:

> In particular, by (re)distributing the SISSL-covered code under
> MPL/LGPLv3+, we allow downstream users to not obey the "standards
> body" clause of the SISSL. And we are not allowed to allow others to
> not obey that clause of the SISSL.

	License compatibility is a rats nest of horror - which is why people
are trying to reduce the number of bespoke (SISSL-like) licenses out
there in the field. I have no idea if we can sub-license SISSL code as
MPL, but it is an expensive question to ask.

	So - personally, I can understand not wanting to use the
(non-copy-left) SISSL for your work; which leaves only the
LGPLv2.1-only, and an attempt to incrementally re-write that stuff in
future. At least, I think that's a reasonable place to be for now.

> I picked bsd because it matches the style that was already there, not
> out of any personal taste.

	Heh ;-) I guess we want to move to having the same style everywhere
over time as code is cleaned up, and (presuambly) the style headers help
with that (?) but not a big issue IMHO - particularly if we have an
unusual licensing block in this piece.

	Looking forward to seeing it merged; what remains to be done ?

	All the best,

		Michael.