[Libreoffice] help asked/offered for bug 36555

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sun Nov 20 02:49:08 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 01:54:56PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

> So - indeed, the first step is to get a build. After you have that,
> resurrecting the old mdbtools CWS / patch set would be a good idea.

That's not the best way to fix this bug. As I read it, bug#36555 is
about accessing Access files through the ADO driver, not through
mdbtools! So what needs to be done is to fix/reenable/whatever the ADO
SDBC driver.

Think of ADO as another API to access datastores, including databases;
it is actually an object wrapper around the OLE DB API. It is rather
higher-level than ODBC (but still allows escape to direct SQL, if the
datastore supports SQL), and actually there is an OLE DB provider
(~driver) for ODBC, so that ODBC is just one of the datastores that
ADO/OLE DB can access. It is deprecated, though, and won't be made
available for 64 bit OS/App.

There is also a "direct" OLE DB provider for MS Access mdb files
(technically, for the underlying "Jet" database engine) and that is
what the people reporting the bug are trying to use.

So fixing this should be easier than addressing the SQLite/mdbtools
situation cleanly!

--
Lionel