[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Nov 21 10:01:33 PST 2011

At 11:53am -0500 Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> It would be good if such "impossible to proceed" situations would
> lead to uncaught exceptions [...] or clear error messages from within
> LO ("this functionality is unavailable (detailed error message:
> ...)"), instead of LO silently doing nothing (as is so often the case
> today, e.g., when you choose a menu item that triggers functionality
> that requires Java, and you don't have a JVM).

I'm not sure if that was a conclusion to this thread, but are we
documenting this kind of decision in a concise format (and hopefully
single page) on the wiki?  After a few minutes of looking, all I see is
this page:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development#General_Programming_Guidelines

For us non-core folks who aren't able to follow every message, and new
devs in general, having a page of "LO coding style and various examples
of what (not) to do" would, at least for me, be very helpful.

Kevin