[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 23:41:33 PST 2011

On 11/22/2011 06:35 AM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> The run tine flexibility is a great feature, but the proposed
> implementation is scary perf-wise

I kept the implementation simplistic on purpose.  First, remember that
logging (at least for now) is only enabled in debug/dbgutil builds, and
that the SAL_LOG environment variable will have a rather short value
most of the time (the default is just "+WARN").  Beware premature
optimization.

Second, static data is a problem, as is initialize-once data in a
multi-threaded world.  To properly initialize it you need
synchronization mechanisms, which are either platform specific or need
to use osl/mutex.h, which in turn is undesirable.  "Avoid the use of
other sal code in this file as much as possible, so that this code can
be called from other sal code without causing endless recursion."  I
already felt uneasy enough adding OSL_DETAIL_GETPID.

Third, free-form string area codes are indeed not optimal.  But I fear
typos here more than I fear performance problems.  And their advantage
is that they need zero centralized configuration.

Stephan