[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Nov 22 04:15:14 PST 2011

Hi Michael, Stephan, all,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:46:52PM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> one requirement i would have on conditional compilation is that, whether
> --disable-dbgutil or --enable-dbgutil, objects built with debug=t
> (resulting in OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL being set to non-zero) should always be
> binary compatible with objects built without debug=t.
>
> this makes e.g. tracking down bugs introduced by mis-optimisation much
> easier; i think we are in agreement on this point.

Full agreement here.

> i think i've seen members of SwDoc being added with:
>  #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 1
>  #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0
> this kind of thing always struck me as wrong: it should be DBG_UTIL,
> will try to clean that up a bit...

A bit of digging in gits history shows that to be a blunt removal commit of
DBG_UTIL in sw in 2010. I cant make any sense of it, as it completly broke non
DBG_UTIL debug builds for no gain. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

> hmmm... i wonder if it makes sense to not distinguish between warnings
> and info at compile-time (given that it is only active on debug builds
> anyway), so it is not required to recompile a module to get full debug
> output...

Agree. The only valid reason for not having all debug tools compiled in is
runtime performance and binary size. Once you are debugging those are mostly
irrelevant.

> in summary, sounds like a good plan :)

yep.

Best,