[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-commits] .: solenv/gbuild

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Nov 30 08:21:39 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 04:34:23PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 of November 2011, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> >  solenv/gbuild/extensions/post_BuildplTargets.mk |    2 +-
> >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
> >
> > New commits:
> > commit 1f538764acdd67c3f294cd03da006ace27f736ef
> > Author: Bjoern Michaelsen <bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com>
> > Date:   Wed Nov 30 14:02:08 2011 +0100
> >
> >     make build.pl verbose on non-silent builds
>
>  This does not work, the build is verbose regardless of any -s passed to make.

Fixed with:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=83e0a67b9384fdfe25306ada675f3325b3d93bba

> Moreover I question the usefullness of having verbose build by default.

Please do not go down that road. The default behaviour is the one of GNU make.
Its well documented and if you want make to default to make -s you are free to
make yourself an alias in bash for it. In addition verbose builds are a good
default esp. for builders/bots and newcomers.

'We are different' is not a good argument in this -- see the How-to-build wiki
page for a history of things, where we thought being different would be a good
thing and now are stuck with outdated docs as in meantime somebody thought up a
different nondefault behaviour to be a great default.

Best,

Bjoern