[Libreoffice] OOo CWSes

Michael Stahl mst at openoffice.org
Wed Oct 5 03:33:36 PDT 2011

On 05.10.2011 12:23, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Michael.
>
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 11:55 +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> is there a plan to integrate the outstanding OOo CWSes into LibO?
>
> 	We are considering how best to do this.

>> - calc67
>> - calc68
>
> 	As a general rule we're very nervous of non-expert merging calc CWS'
> they need careful review and preferably approval by Kohei & team.

i believe the same is true for the writer :)

we'd need to somehow distribute the integrated changes to the most
knowledgeable (in some area) developers.  that's why i thought something
like gerrit would be helpful.

>> i guess we should take a look and merge anything looking useful into
>> master, then see what breaks :)
>
> 	An unthinking merge is (I think) not helpful. For licensing reasons, we
> would want to re-use an Apache merge, yet their licensing situation is
> not that clear: it appears they are still distributing and creating
> LGPLv3-only licensed code.

i don't see a licensing problem here: if the code is already integrated at
Apache then presumably it will be re-licensed to AL2 at some point; it is
all owned by Oracle anyway.

right now it is LGPLv3 only, but in that respect it is no different from
the millions of lines of currently LGPLv3-only Oracle-owned code we
already have.

so, this is different from accepting a LGPLv3-only patch by a random
contributor, because in that case we cannot assume that it will be
re-licensed, but with stuff that's already integrated at AOOo i think we can.