[Libreoffice] oox/source/drawingml/customshapepresets.cxx is just too much for gcc

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 01:06:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi> wrote:
>> because  oox/source/drawingml/customshapepresets.cxx, a 4MB source,
>> made gcc blow-up both on Mac and on Gentoo....
>
> The horror! The horror!
>
> Seriously, is it really that awful if a few tinderboxes are red for
> some days?

That particular one get  Linux and Mac to die due to a gcc abend...it
is not like it is missing an include of some strategically placed
#ifdef

> Some of them are red for weeks.

And that is very  bad... hopefully with mingw the tinderbox iteration
time will be in part with other platform and in the 15-20 minutes
range.
the current windows tinderbox itarate at best in 10 hours or so. it
makes it completely unpractical  to monitor's one's commit and to
identify which commit is responsible of a breakage.

> Is just bluntly reverting
> the right way to solve problems? If it is, will have to remember that.
that particular revert was not 'blunt'. that particular commit did not
just make the build failed, it made the box that tried to build fail
or at least suffer badly.
on Mac, thanks to the fact that gcc ran as a 32 bit process it died
before doing much damage to the rest of the system. on my linux, it
was happily consuming 7+GB of memory by the time I manually kicked
it...a commit that break the build is one thing, one that essentially
DOS the tinderboxes are another.

Many times, whenever I can, I try to fix the problematic commit rather
than reverting.
and the work is not lost... it is right there in git. if you find of a
way to make it work, please, by all means do so.

but to answer your more general question: yes red tinderboxes are bad, very bad.
because it has a run-away effect:
When master is broken, you can't check your work properly, so you
increase the odd of yourself pushing a broken commit leading to an
even more broken master;
In the mean time tinderbox are not able to produce daily build...
which means that QA cannot do their part to find bug early.
Yep it is that bad on windows... and yeah we haven't been able to
produce a daily build for it in weeks... but that is no reason to make
that the 'standard'.

Norbert