[Libreoffice] ODBC handles, a quibble

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sun Oct 9 06:27:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:02:01PM -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
> Silly me!  While reading some of the LibreOffice code for
> ODBC connections, I started to look at ...

>     ISO/IEC FCD 9075-3:2006(E)
>     Title: Information technology - Database Languages - SQL
>         - Part 3: Call-Level Interface (SQL/CLI)
>     <http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1501-1550/32N1527T-text%20for%20FCD%209075-3.pdf>

> This passage in section "4.4.1 Handles" catches my eye:

>     The validity of a handle in a compilation unit other
>     than the one in which the identified resource was
>     allocated is implementation-defined.

I did not read *all* of it, but it seems the ODBC documentation
contains no such madness. So my guess is that the Microsoft
"implementation" of SQL-CLI that is ODBC defines that handles cross
compilation units. IMHO the other implementations of ODBC better
follow that, or I'm not sure it is worth supporting them in
LibreOffice.

And on a nitpicking level, ODBC has a relationship to ISO/IEC
9075-3:1995, not 9075-3:2006 :) But indeed I guess that 9075-3:1995
contains the same language.

--
Lionel