[Libreoffice] --enable-pch

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Mon Oct 17 03:15:27 PDT 2011

> does anybody know why on MSVC builds --enable-pch is not on by default?

Don't know at what stage it was turned off, or whether it has ever
been on by default. Anyway, support for precompiled headers in a MSVC
build has presumably bit-rotted fairly badly by now. I recall when
precompiled headers was discussed maybe a year ago, and people were
saying that it should be used because it speeds up the build a lot. I
tried then, and eventually in some modules it was so broken that I
just gave up, had other things to do...

How would precompiled headers interact with how we generate
dependencies (the -showIncludes switch, with output piped to a Perl
script), for instance?

> i've heard complaints from some that a LO windows build takes 2-3 times as
> long as an OOo build.

Hmm, comparing apples with oranges?

--tml