[Libreoffice] LibreOffice documentation and extensions

Christophe Strobbe christophe.strobbe at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Oct 17 09:42:35 PDT 2011

Hi Kendy,

At 16:06 17-10-2011, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>(...)
>
>On 2011-10-12 at 18:50 +0200, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>
> > OpenOffice.org used to provide a way for extensions to provide
> > documentation that would seamlessly integrate into the OOo.org Help
> > system (see
> >
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_best_practices#Help_Content>).
> >
> > LibreOffice, by contrast, has Help documentation online. Is there a
> > way for extension documentation to get integrated into LibreOffice Help?
>
>It is actually a bug, that LibreOffice does not use the help provided by
>the extension, when it exists.
>
>Do you think you would be interested in helping to fix that?  The code
>that decides whether the help is installed is here:
>
>http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/sfx2/source/appl/sfxhelp.cxx#n672
>
>[and around that]

Thanks for the bug identification and the pointer to the code.
Unfortunately my knowledge of C++ is just as bad as my knowledge of
Early Middle Japanese. I would like to learn it (C++ I mean) but have
not yet found the time :-( so I don't know how to help fix this.

I assume that fixing this bug would enable integration of extension
help content into the LibO Help system from the installable help
pack. Since users do not necessarily install this help pack,
extension authors would also want their help documentation to be
available online at <http://help.libreoffice.org/Main_Page>. After
reading
<http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Wikihelp#Open_questions>,
it appears that I'll need to wait a bit.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe