[Libreoffice] Trying to diagnose base running extremely slowly

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Oct 19 08:07:42 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 16:34 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> > (the number is not always 72) that is repeated more or less identically
> > some 12,000 times in the 7 minute run. Since each set appears to take
> > around .02 seconds that alone would account for some 4 minutes of the run.
>
> 7321 times reading out /proc/self/map -- no idea why it does that, but
> that clearly ain't no good...

	Yep :-) If I remember rightly - the only moving part in this
side-to-side performance comparison that causes a substantial decrease
in performance is Java 7 vs 6 right ? The strace shows it poking
at /proc/self/map endlessly (something that is not done by any
LibreOffice code I can find off hand), which perhaps helps isolate the
problem rather better ?

	Ideally of course, we would have a native SQLite database to avoid
needing to use that hsqldb thing (as you do) - potentially it is
provoking java performance problems by using a method call that used to
be fast but is now slow; or ... ?

	So - it's not clear what best to do about this really,

	Is there a good java profiler out there we could use on a mixed C++ /
Java process like ours ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.