[Libreoffice] Trying to diagnose base running extremely slowly

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Oct 19 09:57:16 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 17:32 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> What the LibO hsqldb code does a lot is call JNI's
> Attach/DetachCurrentThread.  Googling around,
> <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6929067> "Stack
> guard pages should be removed when thread is detached" suggests that
> reading /proc/self/maps might have been added into
> Attach/DetachCurrentThread as part of a bug fix.  That would explain things.

	Good catch ! The irony ... :-) this Java bug was kindly fixed for us
indirectly via Andrew Haley to address the bad stack page left around when
we had run some java. That page was causing crashes in calc formula computation
in large sheets.

	It seems we can't win at some stage here. Andrew - I wonder are other
people getting frustrated by performance here too ? it seems there is
some huge /proc/self/maps thrash as we enter/exit Java now on Linux.

	ATB,

		Michael.