[Libreoffice] make experts: progress information?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Oct 20 01:13:20 PDT 2011

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 01:35 -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> Is it possible to get subproject build progress information dynamically
> from make ? Among other things, moving all projects to tail_build
> currently reduces the usefulness of the Zenity SVG clock build progress
> meter.  I'm looking at snippets like

	Clearly lots of people appreciate the zenity build-progress thing, and
those that don't like it already turn it off, so it'd be fine to improve
it in :-)

> Which is a sexy command line solution for a single Makefile.  What I
> don't know is how well something like this could be implemented for our
> many scattered makefiles.

	Well - the problem with this is that (by design) tail_build is a single
make instance that compiles ~all of LibreOffice :-) As you say, that
does break the usefulness of the zenity output - but it also makes it
really rather hard to extract the progress information I'm afraid.

> Beyond myself, are others interested in having a finer-grained
> indication of "where is the build currently in the whole process?"?

	Of course; the question really is how best to do that. There is a
fairly firm consensus against building our own gnumake, so - I wonder
what ways we could use to extract the information. Clearly having
build.pl parse and interpret the compile output might be one approach,
but it's unclear from a tail_build 'make' how many files will require
re-compilation (though make knows that after it has done it's big
dependency thrash at the beginning).

	So - it prolly requires quite some thought :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.