[Libreoffice] SmART Gallery as integrated part of LibreOffice core

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Wed Oct 26 03:11:02 PDT 2011

Michael Meeks wrote:
> > Should we create a chart2 like module for SmART or what would be the
> > best solution? If our plan get green light from you we need a mentor
> > who help us.
>
> 	By far the best person here is Thorsten - he has already done quite
> some work on implementing some Smart-Art compatible core functionality,
> but it is currently missing the UI work necessary to make it useful, and
> of course needs lots more improvement. It'd be great to work together on
> that.

Hi Kami,

we very briefly chatted about this in Paris - indeed, there's code
already that renders some subset of the MS smart arts - look here:

 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/oox/source/drawingml/diagram

Since MSO annoyingly does not write any fallback rendering to ooxml,
it's one of the larger interop gaps we had - I consider it mandatory
to have a smart art view-only implementation available in oox.

Some concepts in the talk here:

 http://users.freedesktop.org/~thorsten/talks/quick-diagramming-2009.odp

Beyond that, I had a prototype running with a special shape in svx,
that would permit the same kind of editing that you have in your
extension. Let me hunt for that code & see what needs to be done for
getting it to run again - not sure how much time I'd be able to
invest for hacking on that feature, but I'll gladly help with any
questions.

Also worth noting is that OOo once had an attempt from RedFlag
(IIRC), remnants of that maybe in CWS impressintelligentgroup01 - I
dislike that approach, since it ignores MSO interop completely. In
my mind, interop is the point to start from, architecture-wise -
not the one to eventually get to, and then discover that some
features just don't work ... ;)

All of this, as should be apparent, really is only achievable with
access to core code, so having an extension-only solution for this
simply won't cut it.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten