[Libreoffice] [REVIEW] text orientation, not text direction

Lior Kaplan kaplanlior at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 08:03:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lior, *,
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Lior Kaplan <kaplanlior at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In my RTL bugs talk during the conference, I showed a weird option in the
> > tables options -> text flow tab which refers to RTL text as vertical
> > (guessing a feature for Japanese). See attached screen shot.
> >
> > I'm attaching to patches to fix this:
> > 1. A string change (trivial).
>
> But that change doesn't improve anything at all. I immediately
> understand what the difference between "left-to-right" and
> "right-to-left (vertical)" means, but what the heck is "horizontal"?
> that could also be right-to-left, and more importantly: Vertical could
> also be left-to-right written vertically.

These options doesn't touch the text directionality (RTL/LTR) but only
decide whether it goes horizontally or vertically.

> So I don't see any benefit in changing those. (on the contrary, it
> would replace clear labels with "need to try them to figure out what
> they do" ones.
>
> As for "Text direction" vs "Text orientation" - I don't really care,
> although I'd associate left-aligned vs right-aligned more with
> orientation, and the overall writing layout with direction, but then
> again I'm not a native speaker...

I've changed this text for two reason:
1. To diffrenciate from the "Text direction" on the table tab (the previous
tab in the same window). There the options are RTL and LTR which is right.
2. To use the same terminology as other word processing software.

I hope this better explains the reasons for the patch.

Kaplan