[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [REVIEW] text orientation, not text direction

Lior Kaplan kaplanlior at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:13:07 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Christophe Strobbe <
christophe.strobbe at esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> At 16:48 31-10-2011, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>
>> Hi Lior,
>>
>> Thank you for the patch!  It seems that it caused some misunderstanding,
>> so maybe it might be good to CC: the UX guys for the suggestion of
>> wording? - CC'd now.
>>
>> UX guys - please have a look at Lior's suggestion; for a screenshot of
>> what he means, see his original mail in the ML archive:
>>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/**archives/libreoffice/2011-**
>> October/019944.html<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-October/019944.html>
>>

> Just to make sure that everyone involved in the discussion knows how to
> use this feature:
> 1. Create a table; set "text direction" to "right-to-left (vertical)"
> 2. Enter some Chinese (or Japanese) text into the table. (In my case, the
> text appeared rotated.)
> 3. Change the font to one that was developed for Chinese (or Japanese, as
> the case may be) text.
>
> You will now see the characters in vertical columns that should be read
> right-to-left.

Just a small notice - although the option says "right to left (vertical)",
it only changes the horizontal/vertical part. The text directionality is
kept as is (usually left to right), which causes the text to be written top
to bottom (that is LRT rotates 90 clock wise).