[Libreoffice] New desktop integration modules

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Sep 1 07:57:17 PDT 2011

On Thursday 01 of September 2011, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have created a patch that adds Trinity Desktop Environment integration
> to LibreOffice, and would like to get it included in the upstream
> LibreOffice sources if you are interested.
>
> It is based on the old KDE3 integration module, but has been altered to
> work with the latest version of TDE.  It does not damage or replace the
> existing KDE3 desktop integration modules, and can be turned on/off with a
> configure flag at compile time.
>
> This is an important feature to users of TDE, as the existing KDE3
> integration module will not function properly within the latest releases
> of TDE.  We are prepared to maintain and enhance the TDE integration
> module for the foreseeable future.

 Has Trinity broken compatibility with KDE3? If not, why is the support added
separately instead of extending the KDE3 support to include Trinity as well?
It looks like needless duplication and there possibly would be problems with
having them together, given that libraries and headers use the same naming.

 And even if Trinity is no longer compatible, it originally was, given it was
based on KDE3, so even then it'd be probably better to have one common base
and build two different versions from it (note that in this case also Trinity
should not use KDE3 library and header names).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz