[Libreoffice] Bringing some sanity to interline spacing

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Sep 2 09:21:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 11:23:14AM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 23:31 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > >
> > > Comparison with MSWord will be good to do too, with/without the "use
> > > extra leading" compatibility option.
> >
> > MSWord is not known for its sane handling of font metrics, and I have
> > been told recent (2007-) broke it even further.
>
> Hum, ending up with .docs, .docxs, .rtfs that layout even further from
> their original how-they-layout-in-word, while pre-existing .odts and so
> forth also change layout sounds somewhat worrying :-). We may have to
> cook up a "use-old-school-metrics" compatibility flag or something like
> that along the lines of some similar flags we already have. I might try
> and play around the area.

This would even be better. With my font developer hat on I'd prefer
enforcing standard compliance (old behaviour is against OpenType
recommendation), but as long as there is a way to get the correct
behaviour I'm fine.

Regards,
 Khaled (who is suffering right now from this very same issue with MS Word)

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian