[Libreoffice] gnumake / dependencies 20%+ speedup ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 5 04:06:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 05:49:54 -0500
Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> maybe we could have that behavior be a config option ? that way box
> that don;t need it (tinderboxes that do make clean/make
> systematically) or people that chose performance over the occasional
> breakage can disable it ?

Well, setting gb_FULLDEPS to the empty string should do the trick
unless it broke in the meantime. While on gcc deps would still be
generated, they would be ignored by the build system, thus making the
build quite a bit faster. Actually on Linux it might make sense to
ignore deps on a build from scratch and only read them on incremental
builds, but I fear that might be a bit to fragile to distill in some
automagic.

Best,

Bjoern

--