[Libreoffice] Bringing some sanity to interline spacing

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Sep 9 11:10:13 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 06:39:52PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Khaled,

> > > Hum, ending up with .docs, .docxs, .rtfs that layout even further from
> > > their original how-they-layout-in-word, while pre-existing .odts and so
> > > forth also change layout sounds somewhat worrying :-). We may have to
> > > cook up a "use-old-school-metrics" compatibility flag or something like
> > > that along the lines of some similar flags we already have. I might try
> > > and play around the area.
> >
> > This would even be better. With my font developer hat on I'd prefer
> > enforcing standard compliance (old behaviour is against OpenType
> > recommendation), but as long as there is a way to get the correct
> > behaviour I'm fine.
>
> With
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=052f181dad89ad34d90513bc9dcd3e3239727933
> the new spacing is used only if SAL_USE_NEW_LINEHEIGHT=1 is set in the
> environment, else the old metrics are used.

Thanks, though I was expecting a friendlier UI option, but I won't insist
on that :)

> >  Khaled (who is suffering right now from this very same issue with MS Word)
>
> Which indicates even more that we can't switch just like that to the new
> metrics.

There is a "use typo metrics" bit in OS/2 table that was introduced as a
way for font developer to really opt for using typo metrics, I omitted
checking for it for the sake of simplification. Now thinking more of it,
I think we should check it and don't use the new method if it isn't set,
however this does not really solve the combat ability issue since since
many fonts already set it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--