[Libreoffice] difficulty doing rebuild
tenger at iseries-guru.com
Sat Sep 10 16:00:46 PDT 2011
I hope this report of difficulty doing a rebuild of
LibreOffice will be of some interest. If the tale is not
sufficiently sad and long to satisfy you, I can offer a
typescript, 73000 lines so far and still growing <grin />.
The following points surprise me:
(*) Rebuild failed. I see room here for improvement, but I
have no idea how the improvement would work.
(*) `make dev-install` still has lot of C++ files to
compile. Well, I learn something new every day.
(*) `make clean` of the failing module did not remove the
cause of the failure. This is a small surprise that
would not have delayed me if I had a faster system.
Here is how I got into trouble and what I did to get past it
I pulled commit b430e0c, which includes commit 392146b
which replaces libvisio version 0.0.6 with version 0.0.7,
which adds several parameters to
After an apparently successful `make`, `make dev-install`
failed in tail_build/prj. The suggested recovery,
`cd tail_build && make clean && make -r`, failed while
linking libvisioimportlo.so. Investigation shows files
VSD6Parser.obj and VSD11Parser.obj from an earlier build
still present and referencing the function with the old
signature while VSDXCharacterList.obj defines the function
with the new signature.
These old .obj files survived another `cd tail_build && make
clean`, while `cd libvision && make clean` reports that
there is no rule to build the target. Brute force to the
rescue: `rm -r libvisio/unxlngi6` lets the subsequent `cd
tail_build && make` and `make dev-install` continue to a
More information about the LibreOffice