[Libreoffice] Usefulness of --enable-dbgutil

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Sep 14 11:50:13 PDT 2011

> but currently LO doesn't seem to use it (couldn't find -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG); why is that?

We tried, but we ran into so many problems when code compiled with
that without that were mixed (accidentally/unintentionally) that we
gave up.

Caolán knows more. See commit d1f6403c9ee3caf6b2e6babe5eb6b2ff62feaa9d
and the history of the stuff it touches.

(I must say I am a bit disappointed at the GNU C++ library here: this
thing that you can't mix code compiled with and without that define,
and don't even get any linkage error if you do anyway, doesn't sound
very elegant; in fact it sounds like something people would laugh at
Microsoft for doing... But of course I am mostly clueless about the
details, there might be good reasons why doing it otherwise would be a
bad idea.)

--tml