[Libreoffice] [RFC] use of apache ant in libreoffice

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:02:30 PDT 2011

Hi guys,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Peter Foley <pefoley2 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Use of apache ant in libreoffice seemes to be restricted to these 5
>> modules.
>>
>> beanshell qadevOOo scripting swext xmerge
>>
>> I was wondering if there is any particular reason for using apache ant or
>> if it would be a good idea to convert these modules to use plain gbuild
>> Jars?
>
> Removing a build dep would not hurt... so if that can be reasonably
> done, sure, go for it :-)

Well, if ant is used to build Java jar packages, then, I would prefer
ant be used because ant's build script is much simpler than make's for
Java packages.  For Java, ant is pretty much the standard build
system.

Also, we won't be able to remove ant dependency until we completely
remove all the Java extensions we include in our build today.  So, I
don't think we are in a hurry to remove ant dependency.

Kohei