[Libreoffice] Proposal: slowcheck -- some numbers for sc

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 21 04:08:03 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 21 of September 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 09:50 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > In an ideal world I imagine the best spent effort would be on improving
> > the import speed for .ods and .xlsx, seeing as that improves the
> > real-world case too.
>
> 	Agreed. Assuming that the files are of equivalent on-disk size, it's
> amusing that the old code is fastest and the newest slowest. It'd be
> really interesting to get a callgrind trace of ods / xlsx loading.

 Amusing maybe, but not strange at all. XLS is binary format, ODS and XLSX are
XML-based. Any guesses on how much slower image loading would be if somebody
came up with JPEGX? And, if calc import filters are written in at least
somewhat similar way to writer import filters, then XML-based filters get
additional penalty for XSL processing and abstractions, especially in a
non-optimized build.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz