[Libreoffice] subsequenttest hang ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 11:46:57 PDT 2011

On 09/26/2011 08:24 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 17:33 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> A timed wait is no solution here.  (Timeouts in this kind of code pose
>> at least two problems.  For one, they prevent a human from coming back
>> to a hung "make check" after a while, only to find out they no longer
>> get a clue where it hang, as the build has unhelpfully been forced to
>> move forward.
>
> 	That is of course possible; however in this case the build would simply
> fail with an assertion at this exact point. In general, that is probably
> better than hanging indefinitely, which can wedge tinderboxes, and give
> the impression the build is continuing when it has hung.

Tinderboxes need to handle non-terminating builds, anyway (think a
non-terminating, say, idlc), so no need to address non-terminating tests
specifically for them.

>> The real solution, instead, is to not only wait on the Result object,
>> but also on the OfficeConnection. Fixed  as
>
> 	Looks like an improvement to me, thanks for that. I wonder why we only
> see this now, surely smoketests have died in mid-flow before ?

Not sure.  Maybe it was indeed always the case that cppunittester would
hang should soffice.bin crash while in the BASIC smoke test code.

-Stephan