[Libreoffice] GSoC 2012 - Improving Impress svg export filter

Marco Cecchetti mrcekets at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:55:51 PDT 2012

Hi Thorsten, everyone,
I'm going to apply to GSoC again this year for LibreOffice.

Follows a first draft of my project proposal, I'm looking
forward for feedbacks before of submitting it on the GSoC
web-site. The proposal include a tentative time-line.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Personal Details

I am a student in mathematics at university of Pisa (Italy).
I will be available for the project in the official time-line
period (May 23 - August 22),  On this period my only other
task will be to perform a university exam, but it shouldn't
prevent me from working on the project for 40 hours per week.

Background Information

My university courses are essentially on mathematical arguments
however I applied for a course in programming and data structure
and a course in numerical analysis. My informatics and programming
background is due in a large amount to self learning. My interest
for programming in general and C++ in particular is essentially
due to passion for such subjects.

Beyond the GSoC time frame I will concentrate my efforts on
university, anyway I will be always available for fixing potential
bugs of my implementation.

I already applied for GSoC with the LibreOffice organization on
the last year. I implemented an experimental feature: the
possibility to export a whole presentation from Impress in a single
svg document: the exported svg document contains multiple slides
and has support for slide navigation, included a thumbnail based
slide index, and a good amount of basic animation effects. [1]

I applied for GSoC in 2008, too with Inkscape. My project was about
implementing some geometry routines for lib2geom a 2D geometry
library born inside the inkscape organization and that will become
the core geometry library of Inkscape. [2]

In late 2007 I started implementing a multi-signature version of
boost function (boost.overload), indeed it is a thin wrap around
boost function. I never presented it for review, anyway the latest
version of the source code is on the Boost Sandbox, It was a good
meta programming exercise. Documentation and tutorial can be found
at [3].

[1]
http://tinyurl.com/cfublju

[2]
http://tinyurl.com/yz4gmnj

[3]
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/overload/trunk/libs/overload/docs/html/index.html

Project Proposal

The aim of this project is to improve the Impress svg export
filter I started working on the last GSoC. The main goals for
the GSoC time-frame are to add support for slide transitions
and transformation effects by advancing the porting state of
the Impress animation engine from C++ to JavaScript, and to
carry out a new implementation of the text export feature such
that we can provide better support for text search engine and
text animations. In such a way the user get a complete feature
rich presentation in a single svg document that can be displayed
in any enough modern browser.

Time-line

Week 1, 2, 3
   Task 1 - Porting the part of the Impress animation engine
            responsible for slide transitions and providing
            support at least for the following basic slide
            transitions:
              Wipe up, down, left, right
              Push up, down, left, right
              Fade Through Black
              Fade Smoothly

Week 4, 5
   Task 2 - Implement support for repeated animations
   Task 3 - Implement support for rewinded animations
   Task 4 - Provide the possibility to go backward of one
            single effect.

Week 6, 7
   Buffer - Spread from the GSoC start to the mid-term period

Week 8, 9
   Task 5 - New text export implementation that provides better
            support for text search engines

Week 10, 11
   Task 6 - Provide support for text animations
   Task 7 - Export embedded svg pictures in a transparent way

Week 12, 13
   Buffer - Spread from the mid-term period to the GSoC end.

Optional task:
   Use svg native gradients whenever possible.

Regards,
-- Marco