Android UI work

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Mon Apr 2 04:17:56 PDT 2012

> So the menu xml file and the single java file would be sufficient to commit
> to the LO repository, and nothing else?

The "bin" and "gen" directories should not be in source control.

> I am not saying a single app, I in a way trying to keep it with an
> application chooser that would for instance open up the respectily chosen
> application.

The user interface of *Android* itself is an app chooser. I am farily
sure one is not supposed to work around that and have one's own "app
chooser" app that "opens up" sub-apps.

Anyway, before we get so far that we can actually edit (and thus
create) documents on Android, we intend to make viewer apps, as far as
I know. So most likely the normal way to start such a viewer would be
by associating it with a MIME type (or whatever the corresponding
Android terminology is), so that if one clicks such a document in a
web browser, it gets downloaded and viewed in the LO-based app.

> The menu I did is equivalent to the application chooser on
> linux mac etc.

And that is something not needed on Android (or iOS). (In fact,
personally I think the "Start Centre" (as I think its official name
is) makes little sense on normal desktop OSes, either, and we keep it
just because we don't have the courage (or the UX resources) to get
rid of it...)

--tml