Excessive exception size cost ...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 06:26:29 PDT 2012

On 27/03/12 13:53, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 17:05 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

>> 	It is also a markedly higher proportion than mozilla:
>
> Maybe large bits of mozilla are compiled without exceptions ?,
> historically at least given https://developer.mozilla.org/en/C
> ++_Portability_Guide#Don%27t_use_exceptions exceptions seems to have
> been avoided.

there appear to be plans to use C++ exceptions in mozilla land, though a
quick search doesn't seem to find anything about when and how these
things were actually implemented:

http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2007/12/19/exceptions/
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2007/11/26/mozilla-2-outparamdel/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Exceptions

>> 	They provide us with very little real value since we just abort when
>> they are thrown in ~all cases.
>
> These specific bad_alloc exceptions or all of our exceptions?, because
> trying to e.g. revert to a global -fno-exceptions world seems
> impractical.

indeed:
http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/01/18/the-dangers-of-fno-exceptions/