[REVIEW 3-5] Re: build breaks - icu49 ?

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 15:54:22 PDT 2012

Hi Caolán,

On Monday, 2012-04-02 20:10:23 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 19:31 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> > Bah, I initially overlooked that the patch also changes the general
> > char.txt, not only char_in.txt
> >
> > We have a problem here, as that changes behavior for Thai and Lao with
> > existing ICU versions.

Actually it does not ...

> Would be worth adding some sample text that's affected by it to
> i18npool/qa/cppunit/test_breakiterator.cxx

Hmm.. a year ago Martin Hosken introduced char.txt and commented out the
use of SpacingMark and Prepend according to UAX #29 updates, along with
changes in breakiterator script identification. So we already have the
changed behavior since then. It seems that so far no Thai user
complained, so maybe this is indeed desired. Or never was used with the
internal ICU, i.e. on Windows.

> > Ideally the change of char.txt should depend on the actual ICU version
> > being used, e.g. by duplicating the data file and in makefile check the
> > ICU version, ugly but I don't see other means. Anyone else?
>
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=42460 is the kind of hack
> I tried out the last time something like this happened

Great, thanks. Though not exactly needed because of the above I changed
things to follow the same pattern, which allows to easily reintroduce
the Prepend set if needed.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=43084e8b30c101a44510b7a8267d5c2b316a17bb

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD