librO python & ssl support

Laurent Godard lgodard.libre at laposte.net
Tue Apr 3 02:28:38 PDT 2012

Hi all

I need HTTPS connection and SSL support in my python extension

Unfortunatelly, it seems that python provided in libro 3.5.1 is not
ready for this

$ /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/python
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Mar  5 2012, 18:19:36)
[GCC 4.2.4] on linux2
 >>> import ssl
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/ssl.py", line
60, in <module>
     import _ssl             # if we can't import it, let the error
propagate
ImportError: libssl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

Discussing on IRC, vmiklos (thanks to him) pointed me on
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/python/Python-ssl.patch

is it the patch to be applied to allow SSL support ?
does it cause any known trouble ?

i would like to do the job, trying to propose an additionnal patch (if
needed) and target the 3.5.3 release.

would there be any patient mentor to help me starting (pointers, what to
do aso)

Thanks in advance

laurent