EasyHack, fdo#46808, Adapt UNO services to new style, Phase II

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 02:15:24 PDT 2012

On 04/04/2012 10:13 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On 2012-04-03 17:10, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> So you'd probably also come across code like
>>
>> Reference<X> x(...createInstance...);
>> if (x.is()) { ... }
>>
>> that you can simplify by using a constructor and removing the x.is()
>> check.
>>

> What about code that appears to just happily do nothing if the
> createInstance fails? (there is a lot of this)
> Is there a nice way of implementing this short of creating a try...catch
> block?

 From my experience with our code base, I guess most such code is simply
broken, pseudo-defensive nonsense.  (Especially so given that it has
never been well-defined whether createInstance et al should return a
null reference or throw an exception in case the requested service is
not available.)

You'll likely need to inspect the code somewhat, but in probably nearly
all cases the code should actually fail if the service is not available.

Stephan