check : build dependency (was: Re: what exactly needs localedata_en library ?)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Apr 13 07:32:22 PDT 2012

On Thursday 12 of April 2012, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> Maybe it is better to just let check target depend on build target ?
> In general.

 Do you mean making the toplevel targets depend on each other, or also in each
module?

 If this is meant to be also for all modules, wouldn't this possibly still
miss some problems? I.e. if e.g. sw links the i18npool library, does or does
not sw depend on i18npool/ build target? If sw depends only on the library
itself, then localedata_en still might not be built by the time sw unittests
are run (in this example sw is far too late after i18npool for this to be
realistic, but consider whatever is more realistic).

 Requiring everything be built before running any checks would avoid the
problem, but I doubt anybody would want to rebuild everything just in order
to run checks in sal/ . So unless the first case would work reliably, there
does not seem to be any way other than finding all such dependencies, as much
as doing that is painful, with such problems being random race conditions.

> Or do people use make check with demand to build only what is
> necessary for tests and nothing more ?

 I would expect that most of what the build target builds in each module is
already a prerequisite for the module's checks (and it'd definitely be so in
an ideal world where everything is tested).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz