[PUSHED-3-5] improve startup performance ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Apr 16 04:22:32 PDT 2012

Hi Stephan,

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 10:50 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Pushed to -3-5 now as
> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-3-5&id=4baeaf5484fb23f8265ab693bb7d2a36fbfef9c5>
> (needed some trivial adaptation to -3-5, and I had not been aware you
> had already pushed it to master, so it lacks a cherry-picked-from in the
> comment).

	Thanks for that :-)

> * I would probably also have moved the <...>* syntax down into stoc;
> this would have made the case detection in SimpleRegistry::open more
> straightforward, and would have lead to a less broken
> SimpleRegistry::getURL.

	True :-) and initially I had more of this approach, the problem with
that is that the 'open' method has to handle both the 'types' stuff
(which has to nest) and the XML 'services' stuff which can be flattened.
Since we instantiate a SimpleRegistry and then call 'open' - and only
then can we detect that we in fact needed a nested registry for a
directory full of type rdbs ;-) this means we need to keep the directory
semantic at the higher level (which became obvious when vba stopped
working since oovbaapi.rdb was not loaded correctly ;-)

>   (Also, it is not clear to me what your "FIXME:
> busts the 'create' mode ..." wants to imply, as creating old-style
> binary rdbs should continue to work just fine, right?)

	That's right; it's an extraneous left-over from my previous approach
which did indeed bust the create mode ;-)

> * err_throw is gone to from only one place, so could be simplified.

	Yep, again a victim of some later re-factoring ;-)

> Anyway, I did not clean up any further as I plan to broadly modify this
> area, anyway (reducing the "nesting nonsense" to zero, independently for
> services and types).

	Lovely - thanks ! :-)

		Michael.