Make ordering (Re: namespace / typing thrash ...)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Apr 17 05:42:15 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 02:19:59PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I don't think it would hurt parallelism much, because the linking of svx
> needs to be done somewhen, and make should have enough of other stuff to do.
> On the other hand, I doubt such one change would change much. Could gbuild be
> changed so that each library target depends on its dependent libraries not
> only for linking, but also for compiling its sources?

Yes, it could, but that would be throwing the baby out with the bath tub. After
all, all we want is _some_ linking to be done earlier. Creating a file
DoNotLinkAllInTheEndHack.mk containing just a few "artificial" Deps and include
that would be enough:
$(call gb_Library_get_header_target,sw) \
$(call gb_Library_get_header_target,swui) \
$(call gb_Library_get_header_target,sc) \
$(call gb_Library_get_header_target,sd) :| $(call gb_Library_get_target,svx)

without creating too much artificial dependencies.

Best,

Bjoern