[Libreoffice-commits] .: writerfilter/source

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 01:03:48 PDT 2012

On 04/18/2012 09:52 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 of April 2012, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>> MacOSX is one of the few platform that has consistently been built
>>> with --enable-werror.
>>> removing the benefit of it just for a micro-optimization seems an
>>> overkill.
>>
>> I agree with Norbert here. The more tinderboxes we have that (continue
>> to) use --enable-werror, the better.  (If with significantly different
>> compilers, even better.)
>
>   I have no problem with different, I have a problem with broken. There's no
> benefit of fixing warnings for a compiler that is 6 years old. If the warning
> were valid, recent gcc would emit it too.

We have to live with broken compilers.  And on Mac OS X we are pretty
much bound to that specific compiler instance.

With the >>= issue at hand, IMO the benefits (--enable-werror for Mac OS
X) outweigh the costs (sprinkle the code base with trivial "= T()" or
similar initializations).

>   Or does that mean I should enable WaE for the MSVC tinderbox too? That should
> be some fun, with people even now not bothering to fix that build that much.

Yes, we should certainly --enable-werror there.  The code base used to
be warning-free even for MSVC.  Everything else is a regression.

Stephan