Your GSoC project - first step

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:07:51 PDT 2012

Hi Daniel,

First of all, welcome aboard for GSoC 2012!  We are very excited to
have you work on Calc's performance improvement this summer.

According to the official GSoC timeline, we should spend the first
couple of weeks getting to know your mentors (which is, me and
Markus), read documentation, and get up to speed on your project.  I
assume that, since you've already worked on two easy hacks, you
already know how to build, hack, and submit patches using git enough
to get started.  If not, you are welcome to ask us for help.

I talked with Markus briefly, and we think that as a starter, we
should stay on the xlsx import code and make a few more improvements
there before moving on to other areas.  We have already covered the
named ranges import, and now we will shift our focus to cell value
import, and hopefully make it a bit faster than it currently is.  The
first thing we'd like you to do toward this goal is to create a test
xlsx document, and add it to our filters-test.  Markus knows more
about this filters-test framework, so I'll let him fill you in on the
details.

Last but not least, can you give us a brief introduction of yourself
now that you are officially in? :-)

Looking forward to working with you this summer!

Kohei