distro-configs files, autogen.sh options, defaults etc

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 01:05:15 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 10:24 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> I am once again pretty confused.
>
> From a high-level point of view, what is the intent:
>
> - Should a new, naïve contributor be able to run just ./autogen.sh
> without any options and, assuming his platform is a reasonably well
> supported one, get a working, perhaps minimal (i.e. quicker/easier to
> build) build? (I think YES.)

Yes, ./autogen.sh should "just work" and it should also give the correct
default best configuration, rather than a "minimal" one IMO. The two of
those are a little contradictory, so when they conflict default to "just
work".

> - Or are you always expected to pass a --with-distro=YourOS switch? (I
> think NO.)

I think no as well.

> - Surely only official TDF builds are supposed to use
> --with-vendor=The Document Foundation ?

Yeah, and its even fair to suggest that people use --with-distro or
whatever that injects "The Document Foundation" as the vendor into their
config options because you need the right permissions to do that.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy#Overall_Guidelines
'The logos that bear the exact mention of the software name with the
mention "The Document Foundation" are reserved for two purposes:

    the sole and official use of TDF as an entity, for instance on
splash screens from software builds compiled by the Document Foundation
or on official materials from the legal entity itself ...'

> Currentlly how configure.in and the distro-configs files work is a bit
> confusing, and doesn't really give an impression of any clear overall
> policy regarding the above points.

Well, the distro-configs are really a bag on the side aren't they ? Now
really convenience configurations for the universal builds.

> the enable_cairo_canvas should be hardcoded as "no" always for MacOSX
> and Windows?

I imagine so, the ./autogen.sh ... route should "just work".

C.