Your GSoC project - first step

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:21:28 PDT 2012

Hey Daniel,

welcome to this years GSoC. I'm looking forward to work with you on calc.

>> I talked with Markus briefly, and we think that as a starter, we
>> should stay on the xlsx import code and make a few more improvements
>> there before moving on to other areas.  We have already covered the
>> named ranges import, and now we will shift our focus to cell value
>> import, and hopefully make it a bit faster than it currently is.  The
>> first thing we'd like you to do toward this goal is to create a test
>> xlsx document, and add it to our filters-test.  Markus knows more
>> about this filters-test framework, so I'll let him fill you in on the
>> details.
>>

> Are there other recommendations for
> documentation other than these?

Depending on your editor ctags and cscope are quite helpful and

> As for the filters-test framework and test xslx document, I look forward to
> learning more.

For our calc filters-test framework I once wrote a short description
for the wiki that can be found at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Calc_Import_Unit_Tests
. You'll find all the test code at sc/qa/unit/filters-test.cxx and
sc/qa/unit/subsequent_filters-test.cxx and some helpful parts in
sc/qa/unit/helper. For your case it should be enough to create a test
file add the necessary test code to subsequent_filters-test.cxx and
create a csv file containing the expected content.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have for this here or on IRC.

Regards,
Markus