distro-configs files, autogen.sh options, defaults etc

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Apr 25 06:01:16 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 24 of April 2012, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 17:16 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Running "./autogen.sh --with-system-libs" fails as soon as it finds one
> > external library that does not exist system-wide (and there's pretty much
> > bound to be one, given what all kinds of libs we use)
>
> Aha, so I suspect this boils down to "someone put clucene into the
> default list of with-system-libs", right :-) ?

 No, I do have usable CLucene installed. It boils down to "I have to manually
list all libs I don't want to use from system, or all libs I do want to use
from system, or I have to keep rebuilding the bundled copies all the time".

 Re-reading the thread again, it seems to me we're talking about two slightly
different things. What you want is that configure by default builds with the
same set of features enabled, regardless of what system libs are enabled.
Which is the case now, and it is solved by using internal copies of almost
all external libraries. What I want is that configure by default (or at least
easily) uses as many system libs as possible, so that it is not necessary to
keep rebuilding them. That does not conflict with what you want, and that
also does not work now, because in practice one has to manually check every
single library and enable/disable one set of them.

 Is there any reasonable use case for preferring almost all internal copies of
libraries if the system-wide one is suitable? To me it looks like all that
would be needed is making all the --with-system-* options by default work
like 'auto', which would mean using the system library if it is considered
suitable, otherwise use the internal copy. That way the feature set would be
constant, by default developers would get all systems libs they have
available used, Petr would keep using --with-system-libs to use all system
libs except those he has disabled and get a failure if some are not present,
and everybody could tweak what gets used with --with-system-foo if (and only
if) wanted.

 Does somebody see a problem with that? Otherwise I'll do this change or
create an easy hack for it.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz