[Libreoffice] StarCalc 1.0 to 5.0 filters

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 4 01:45:47 PST 2012

Hi Caolán, *,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 09:26 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>> On 2012-02-01 at 22:21 -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>>
>> > http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sc/source/ui/docshell/docsh.cxx#162
>> [...]
>> This is only the filter detection code (if I'm not mistaken?), and as
>> such, I think this should still remain there, until we kill binfilter
>> for good; we still use the import functionality, and for that we need
>> the filter detection.
>
> binfilter has its *own* typedetection implementation, i.e.
> binfilter/binfilterdetect/source/bindetect BinFilterDetect::detect so,
> in theory at least, it self-contains what it needs to detect the formats
> it imports. So you should be able to hack sc happily without caring
> about it.

Hmm. Not sure whether I got you all correctly.
Are you saying that when binfilter is dropped/not shipped anymore, the
corresponding filter-selection is dropped as well? I.e. the user will
be presented with the "choose a filter" dialog for those old formats
instead of something like "those formats are no longer supported - use
<previous version> to convert them"?

Showing a filter dialog for formats where it is known that no filter
exists anymore is not really a nice experience for the user....

ciao
Christian