[Libreoffice-qa] Issues with 3.5.0 - ready for release ...

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Feb 7 11:32:31 PST 2012

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Cor Nouws wrote:

> But the quick look I had at the rough list in the train this morning, showed
> crashes and such but as far as I could judge with special documents. Great
> issues to solve for the next release(s) ...

I can demonstrate issues with some filters during conversions, and when
generating (incorrect) Flat ODF have had crashes too (reported). Do we
have tests doing automated QA (conversions) to test export filters and are
we using fuzzing techniques to test our import filters ?

The conversion problems have not been reported yet, but I am sure if we
throw more example documents (maybe from Google ?) at it we'll find a lot
more problems in an automated fashion.

I remember at the LibreConference that Gabriel Monnerat of cloudooo fame
was reporting the same problems and reported 10% conversion errors (LibO
crashes and filter errors) on a set of 100.000 internet documents. Gabriel
implemented various techniques to make his setup more resillient (killing
run-away and memory-leaked instances, restarting on crashes and filter
instabilities) bringing this number down to 1.1%. Which proves that the
majority of these issues are not necessarily reproducable.

I am interested in this, both because it helps making unoconv a better
tool, but also because it will learn me how to report such issues and who
to address them to.